Sunday, April 26, 2009

Top 30 Movies of 2000-2009


The Oughts, or whatever they're called, are nearing their end. Here's an untimely (given there's still a year to go) list of best 30 movies of the decade. As usual, it's organized in hierarchical order, starting with the best one in the humble opinion of this narrator (now, that's a quote from movie I like but which didn't make it to the list!). As far as the auteurs go, Cuaron, Kiarostami and Greengrass win, each having 2 movies in the set.


1. UZAK (Ceylan)

2. Y TU MAMA TAMBIEN (Cuarón)

3. 4 MONTHS, 3 WEEKS, 2 DAYS (Mungiu)

4. IRREVERSIBLE (Noe)

5. THE BARBARIAN INVASIONS (Arcand)

6. MULLHOLLAND DR. (Lynch)

7. THE DIVING BELL AND THE BUTTERFLY (Schnabel)

8. A HISTORY OF VIOLENCE (Cronenberg)

9. JUNEBUG (Morrison)

10. CHILDREN OF MEN (Cuarón)

11. FAITHLESS (Ullmann)

12. THE ETERNAL SUNSHINE OF THE SPOTLESS MIND (Gondry)

13. 10 (Kiarostami)

14. WAYWARD CLOUD (Tsai)

15. TICKETS (Olmi / Kiarostami / Loach)

16. UN CONTE DE NOEL (Desplechin)

17. VICKY CRISTINA BARCELONA (Allen)

18. APOCALYPTO (Gibson)

19. YOU CAN COUNT ON ME (Kenneth Lonergan)

20. MAN WITHOUT THE PAST (Kaurismäki)

21. CODE UNKNOWN (Haneke)

22. WE OWN THE NIGHT (Gray)

23. TRIPLE AGENT (Rohmer)

24. THE HOUSE OF MIRTH (Davies)

25. BLOODY SUNDAY (Greengrass)

26. L’ENFANT (Dardenne / Dardenne)

27. DEATH PROOF (Tarantino)

28. UNITED 93 (Grenngrass)

29. GOOD MORNING, NIGHT (Bellocchio)

30. THE PRESTIGE (Nolan)

2 comments:

  1. Good stuff! I almost included UN CONTE DE NOEL on my list as well - it's a film I totally changed my mind about (hated it on the first viewing, adored it on the second). And TRIPLE AGENT - yes, superb! I'd be interested to hear your views on Ceylan's two post-UZAK movies. Both had interesting elements, I thought, but for me they didn't come close to that great work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I couldn't agree more re: Ceylan. I think he never surpassed UZAK, and both CLIMATES and THREE MONKEYS felt too high-concept and too detached for me to be really enjoyed. I really keep my fingers crossed for him so that he makes a movie of UZAK quailty one day again, but then, UZAK is plenty to start with and will make Ceylan watched forever.

    ReplyDelete